Pages

15 June 2015

The Great Gatsby

It was finals week. Everyone else was pulling up an all-nighter, studying their ass off for the final the next day. What was I doing? I was having a novel-reading marathon. Yup. Finished more books that week than the amount of books the whole year. One of the books that I've read, as you might guess, is The Great Gatsby. It was one of the books listed on the must-read books list on goodreads so I borrowed it from the library.

I haven't seen the movie before I went read the book, so I pretty much didn't know the story at all. What immediately caught my attention was the quote at the beginning of the book. It was a quote by the author's father.
"Whenever you feel like critisizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had" - Nick's dad
That's just one of the truest quotes I've ever read my entire life. Nick's dad must've been a genius! Anyway, I do not intend on elaborating the quote, mostly because I'm not qualified enough and partially because I think it's wonderful for us to ponder upon it on our own. Mind-blowing, when you read and internalize it again and again.

The Great Gatsby was a great book, but it was also one of the few books that I hardly understand a thing. I mean, I do understand the events, but I don't think I fully understood the main gist of the book. ie the hidden meaning and all those literature stuff. I also read 1984 and Animal Farm by George Powell. All of them are heavy books that I'd recommend to anyone looking for some tough reading. Anyway, I've run out of words to say. I'm also dangerously running out of ideas to write in this blog. Hope the quote above blew you away just as it did to me.

Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment