Pages

21 December 2013

Math Quote

I was getting my brain abused by all these college application essays that I decided to get some help from someone. There happens to be a college that asks me to indicate my "intellectual interests" and what it is about them that makes them so special. So I decided to ask my mum this: How do you define Mathematics?

She took a deep breath and replied:
"Mathematics is all about logic and never magic. Everything that you come up with has reason behind it. Although mathematics seem solely about numbers and what not, those "numbers" don't just appear out of nowhere. The units even. You can't simply poof up RM20 from 20."     -Mum
Deep. Those weren't her words exactly though, but close enough. And I nodded in agreement. Well, she is my Math guru. Logic. Mathematics is about logic. I began tap-tap-tapping on the keyboard again. I sighed.

Through these college essays (which are mostly due by early next year), I actually learnt to dig deep into myself. These essays aren't your typical English language exams. They're more of trying to get you to know yourself, and really I was able to reflect on numerous things in my past.

Think of it this way. Literature. In English class,
you read something and derive moral values and all those boring stuff. College essay works in a different but connected way. You just have to reverse engineer the whole step! Brilliant! Okay, first you think of what values that you have in you (or whatever the the college wants you to share), remember past experiences that you can relate to that particular trait, and make a story out of it! Simple right? Yeahhhh.. But the story has to be real and central to your being. Oh, and you have to make sure that when the college people read your essay, they would immediately know your character :D

No, no need to stress out. Chillax dude. Use thesaurus a lot; and by a lot I seriously mean make it your companion. Helps prevent redundancy.

Now where was I again? Oh yeah, Essays....


No comments:

Post a Comment